Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stuck in my craw. (What the hell is a craw anyways?)

Here's the deal: A lot of people walk into a roomful of strangers and think, "Oh, here's a group of people I don't know. I'm sure they're nice. I'd like to get to know them." Guess what. I'm telling you right now that that doesn't work. Here's a better, proven effective way to proceed. When you walk into a room of strangers, just think, "Oh, here's a group of assholes. I'll see which one can prove to me that they're not an asshole." Much better, believe me. Then you're never dissappointed at the end of the day. You'll never leave a room thinking, "Hey, I can't believe I thought so-and-so was a decent person. They turned out to be such an asshole!" It will always be, "I knew so-and-so was an asshole, and he just proved it."

One thing I've learned over the years is that the majority of people in this world are basically self-absorbed jerks. They care about themselves and no one else. Which is fine, as long as you keep that to yourself. It's when you become a total prick about it, willing to stab anyone in the back or walk on everyone else to get what you think you are entitled to, that it starts to effect those around you. And let me say this, no one in the world is really "entitled" to anything. Think about it. When thousands and thousands of immigrants came to this country years ago, from all over the world, did anyone say, "Hey, thanks for coming to America with your stinky-ass food and your bizarre foreign germs, here's several thousand dollars to help you out, because you're entitled to it." No. No one said that. Okay, maybe victims of crimes and their families are entitled to something, if it's coming from the piece of crap that commited the crime upon said victim. But the general public...not entitled, so give it up.

What put these thoughts in my head? Two words: Christmas shopping.

Holy crap! Is there something that goes off in the collective heads of Americans sometime right before Thanksgiving that makes them become bigger morons than they already are? You know, I don't need to buy a lot of gifts. And I get what I can on the Internet. But there are some things that I need to get in a store, especially for the kids. The mass of bug-eyed, zombified humanity out there in the malls and Targets and Wal-Marts of the country has collectively become the most ignorant pile of flesh ever. I was in the mall on Sunday to pick up a few things, and was knocked about relentlessly by people with shopping bags, none of whom had the simple common courtesy to say "excuse me." What the hell is that? Is it so difficult to acknowledge the fact that you're a clumsy prick? I came across people standing in the middle of an aisle in a store, blocking the way through. When I said "excuse me" to get by, they looked at me as if I was bothering them. And then we wonder why a teen walks into a mall with a AK-47 and lets loose. Yeah, it was the inexcusable act of a severely deranged mind, and too bad he didn't live to face the victim's families rage. But, on some level, wasn't it just the ultimate act of a person so pissed off by the assholes around him that his feeble mind finally snapped? Maybe if everyone was just a little nicer to the kid, eight innocent people would be alive today.

Okay, okay. I'm on a soapbox, and what I really want to be is funny. Sorry about that. Promise that my next entry will be a real hoot. As long as I'm done all my gift buying.

5 comments:

josh pincus is crying said...

Well, you're first mistake was going to a Wal-Mart, but I guess, by now, you have learned your lesson.
I have had the same feeling for years. People act as if you are a guest in their world. From driving, to shopping, to riding the train, to walking on the sidewalk, the (American) population has become a bunch of selfish, arrogant pricks totally without common courtesy. I believe I am misunderstood in my demeanor. I think I am basically a nice person. I only insult or become confrontational when it is done to me first. I do not like other humans as a whole, but I am courteous. I say "Please". I say "Thank you". I hold doors open. I don't talk in movies. I wait my turn. But, lately, people have an enormous chip on their shoulder and the world owes them big time. Any retail establishment will show you that. Between asshole customers and rude, uninformed employees, I can understand why internet shopping is so popular.
And I can't understand why you don't get more comments on your blog. Most people have plenty to say and have no interest in listening to anyone else. Unless they are idiots, in which case they have nothing to say and are still not listening to anyone else.
I'm done now.

Anonymous said...

I could not have said it better myself. Of course, I chuckle now as I read it and look back and all of the annoying idiots that I dealt with during the Christmas shopping period. Oh by the way, to answer your question "craw - a pouch in many birds and some lower animals that resembles a stomach for storage and preliminary maceration of food"

Unknown said...

I would have to say i agree with john on that one....take it away boys! ( jazz music playing slowly ) я люблю высказывание, всовывает мой зоб! это заставляет меня чувствовать себя сексуально исключенным! не говорите никого. ( its in russian, translate if you want ).

Unknown said...

Its probably gonna be a couple years till someone sees this, so, here it goes. 戒指一個鈴鐺邁克爾 im 多一些年?記得 rayshaune,邁克爾 e., cheyenne 和 kaylee 和 mellisa,性情古怪者亞歷克斯(wilton) ..... .suck 它全部在 ..... 現在記住 .... 凝視幽谷鍵盤 ..... 10-46 下午 .... 看日曆 .... 床上的 corrie 讀數 .... b 中的 MOM bathroom.currently 生活在 5 中臥室房子 3 有一個大的池的盆浴 .... 可是我們將要很快在移動 ... r ... 我和玩籃球的爸爸 ... 我失蹤的 alot ... 但是製作一些涼爽的 ..... .remember lilly 和奇蹟和傑奇(excilligan gorambus wambau) excilligan 更比任何東西 ... 記住那沉默的 movis 我和 MOM 看 .... 記得 derrickcomedy ... youtube 和學院幽默 ... 記得我的最好的朋友詹姆斯 ..... .remember chinese..i messed up some parts...have fun

Anonymous said...

[color=#333333]Музыкальный ансамбль [url=http://dejavu-group.ru/artist.php]Deja Vu[/url] - это коллектив виртуозных вокалистов и музыкантов.
[url=http://dejavu-group.ru/about_us.php]Дежа вю[/url]- один из лидеров в области организации и проведения юбилеев, концертов, торжеств, корпоративных вечеров.
В репертуаре музыкальной группы Дежа вю около 3 тыс. произведений.
Живая музыка. Поп, хиты 70-80-90-х, диско, джаз, ретро, современная музыка, европейские хиты, фоновая музыка, шансон .
ВИА Дежа вю располагает мощной качественной музыкальной аппаратурой, позволяющей заполнить плотным и приятным уху звуком как небольшое помещение (фуршет), так и большое помещение (корпоратив до 1000 человек).

Игорь +7 916 623 4047 [/color]